March 16, 2011

Musings on Change

Life is all about change, isn't it?

For instance, before I had been blessed with my 3 wonderful children, I was extremely picky about the way our bed was made. The sheets had to be perfectly arranged and smoothed AND tucked in. The comforter should be tucked under the pillows "just so."
Heh.
Now I feel elated just to get the bed made. Who cares if the blanket isn't tucked in underneath the comforter!

When I was first married, I could spend hours or days on a project. I could leave a project out half done and when I was ready to finish it, there was a pretty good chance it would still be where I left it.

Now I have so many hours & days worth of projects that I'd like to do, but no time to do them. If I start a project, it better fit into the time-slot of nap time, or else I'll have lots of "help!" (ie, my sweet little people carrying things off, dumping them in the wrong container, wanting to wear various clothes that are being sorted, etc. etc. etc!

Another thing. I am a "doodler." Or perhaps I should say I was.
How on EARTH did I find the time to sit around writing names, ages, birthdays, thoughts etc.?
I still am a doodler at heart. Occasionally I still will doodle something. I love little details, like the time my babies were born. I could sit around thinking about such things and "doodling" about them for a good amount of time. IF I had the time, that is! ;)

All these "little" seemingly un-important changes that occur throughout life & parenthood really work together (along with other things in life) to CHANGE the person we were. Continually. As our circumstances change, WE change. And we never stop changing.

It's quite something to think about. And here I am having the time to sit and think about it! Imagine that! I must not be as busy as I say I am! :)

Sometimes I miss the things I used to do, before my life was so consumed with surviving. (ie, keeping the house clean, keeping people fed & dressed, attempting to keep the bills paid, etc. etc.)
But yet, when I sit back and really think about what I did "then" and what I do "now"....you know.... "now" has a lot more value to it. It has a lot more depth. (and I'm not comparing a single life to a married life. That just happens to be where I'm at right now. I am in NO WAY saying a married life has more value and depth, just in case anyone was wondering. I happened to be a very frivolous single person, so getting married & having kids forced me to spend my time better ways! ;) and I still have a long way to go at spending my time wisely! )

Being with, raising, feeding, loving, etc. three beautiful, wonderful little people, who will, Lord willing, one day grow up into adults....being married to my best friend in the whole, wide world. Sharing his heart & his life.....It's all so worth it.
Who cares if I never have a perfectly made bed again. Or if I have perfectly organized tubs & scrapbooks. Who cares if I ever get to doodle again.
I'm living out the things I could be sitting by & doodling about!
Thank You God for this beautiful life!

1 comment:

Darleen Weston said...

I loved how you illustrated change in our lives!

I feel I'm in the middle of so many changes... yes, I want my house so -so, and things "done." Yet, I would never change what I have now -- a great husband and going on two little babies! :)

Thanks for sharing. It encouraged me!

Darleen