December 07, 2008

Happy 3rd Birthday To My Firstborn Son

Today was Patrick's last day to be two. Tomorrow morning at 1:58 am he will turn three years old. I can hardly believe he has been alive for three years!!! I am sad to see him leave behind age two. Three seems so much bigger! But I love him at his current "stage" so I guess that means he'll continue to be tons of fun, no matter what age he is. It is hard to see him leaving his babyhood behind though. Probably to some it would seem he left it behind long ago, but not so much to me. In some ways, yes, but it others, no. He has been the only child or baby I could hold for these three years. He has been the only one. It has been a time I treasure in my heart, and always will. He has been the one and only delight of our days and lives, and my one and only little companion throughout each day. When we go places during the week, it has been just he and I. On the weekends, just the three of us. It has been a special gift, this time. That time is drawing to a close. I am ready to "baby" someone - and my little Patrick is ready to be released from having to be the baby. There will still be times (after all, he's only THREE!) where he will need and want to be cuddled and held and babied. But he is a boy. and he is three. I want to give him what he needs, and I want to release him as he needs to be released, from my "apron strings". How my heart loves that little boy!
Today we had a family party for Patrick. It has been such a fun time shopping for it with Patrick. It's the first year he gets it, and is excited about it. Together we picked out the theme, together we shopped, together we read our lists as we walked through Wal-Mart getting things "for your birthday" that made his eyes light up and his little voice squeal with delight. For weeks he has looked at the items, and wished to open them. Today was finally that day! Watching him throughout it all has been priceless. I loved making a special day for him. We had only food/drinks that he could eat, and we had his special "banana/blueberry" frozen fruit as the "cake". This all meant that he could go and grab anything he wanted off the table to eat. It was all "OK" for him. That's something he doesn't usually get to experience, and he really seemed to enjoy it.
He was so excited about it all. The food, the "hee" the streamers, the "burfday hats" and blowers.....what a special day.

Patrick is a sweet, sweet boy. He seems to have a caring and compassionate heart. He is affectionate, too. There's nothing like the feeling of his little arms around our necks, or his head resting our our shoulders. He knows his mind, too. He is "strong-willed" in some ways, yet so passive in others. I wish for him that his strong will can be used for the Lord, and will help him to stand strong for what he believes is right. I hope that he will continue to view others with affection and compassion, and that he will understand when other's are not kind to him, and chose to forgive them and love them anyways. I hope above all else that Patrick will come to know the Lord, that his heart will be soft towards Him, and that he will desire to do what is right because that is what God wants.

I know he is only Three. yet at the same time...HE IS THREE! I wish that he could be my baby forever. I love you so, little P Pat Pat. Thank you for the joy that you have brought to my life, and for the changes you have made. Three years ago I was a different person. You have showed me many things, and I love you more than I can say, and more than you may ever know.

Happy THIRD Birthday, Patrick!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

we hope you had a wonderfull happy 3rd brithday Patrick!!!!