August 02, 2007

Frustrated...

Edit : What a day! After I wrote that, James called me to discuss a very important issue in our life. While talking to him, I went to check on P, who was down for his nap, although not asleep. His spots had gone away, but his eye was now red and swollen etc.
I took him out of his crib and gave him steroids. When James and I were finally done talking (all this time I was watching/rocking Patrick) I tucked the little P (whose eye was looking much better now) into bed and went off to do other things....

.....Soon thereafter, I dropped my cell phone in the toilet. Nice.

Wow, and it's only a little after 2 in the afternoon. I still have plenty of time for more adventurous things to happen in this day....

------------------------
I never knew that trying to feed my child would be so frustrating. When things like this happen, it makes me mad. That's probably not a very Godly way to respond, and I have asked God for wisdom - but the situation still frustrates me greatly. I just don't know what to do! (and to clarify-I'm not mad at Patrick :) Just mad about the situation etc.)

Patrick has a limited diet. He eats the same things every single day. This stemmed from the bad allergic reaction he had in October. We have since taken him to an allergy doctor, for one round of food testing - which revealed that he is very allergic to eggs and milk, as well as mildly allergic to various other things.

Well, I'm supposed to go from there. Introduce new foods - one at a time, in small portions a few days, and watch for reactions. This job drives me insane. I already worry a lot about him - carefully watching him practically 24/7 to see if any strange "red spots" are appearing on him. When I try to add new foods to that, it just confuses me and makes me mad.

For months now, Patrick has eaten strawberries. He didn't really seem to have a problem with them. (there were a few occasions I wondered about...) Well, the last two days I've been giving him raisins and green beans. Both he had eaten when he was younger. (before the 1st Allergic Reaction) He did not have a serious reaction from them, however, a few spots etc. appeared and made me wonder if they were from the new foods, or simply one of his "rashes" he sometimes gets (sensitive skinned little thing, like both his parents-and sensitive to heat, as well)

Last night he was rubbing his eyes, and he had some spots, so I gave him benadryl. Today he looked a little spotty here and there, but nothing serious.

Lunch time rolled around. He ate beef, strawberries and oranges. He has eaten this many times before. I noticed some little spots below his mouth when he was done eating. Out came the benadryl again (another thing that frustrates me-Is my child going to live on benadryl??? I'm sure it isn't really that great for him, although I'm grateful for the affects it has on his reactions/spots) and I was left wondering WHAT he was reacting to...

...was it something I needed to be concerned about, or was it simply some small little rash that meant nothing? Was it the raisins he ate a few hours ago? (reactions can take a long time to appear, although he usually reacts within about 30 min.) Maybe the green beans yesterday? I don't think so. Maybe it was the strawberries? I simply do not know. Maybe it was some residue of something-or just the food touching his sensitive skin......or maybe it was something from the pool (we went swimming before lunch) or maybe the sunlight?

I want to talk to someone who knows about this stuff, who is willing to listen. Someone who knows what they are talking about, is balanced with the medical world/natural world. I want them to help me figure out what is going on with his body. I don't like feeling scared and unsure what to do.

I'm embarrassed about how little variety he eats. I confess that I HATE slowly introducing one food at a time, and put it off FOREVER. When I do try, I sometimes do two at a time, which just messes the whole thing up even more, and leaves me wondering what on earth he is reacting to.....Not to mention that the whole "new foods" thing is so scary for me. Always wondering if he is going to react to it.
When I do give him new foods, I wonder "am I giving him too much? Could I really give him more?"
I'm worried about his diet. Is he getting what he needs? Is he having too much of one thing-will he get fat from eating so much meat-or just so much in general???

Your prayers would be appreciated, and if anyone has any wisdom they can shed on the situation, that would be lovely, too.

1 comment:

Dew Drop pictures said...

poor one, I hope you have a better day today!!!!
Much Love,
Ruth