December 07, 2007

Patrick Is Two (well, almost anyways :) )

Two years ago December 2nd- I was overdue...but it would be another 6 days before our baby would be born......On the icy cold morning of December 8th, at 1:58 am, A BOY was born to us!
We named him Patrick Ghilcrist, which means

"Noble Servant of Christ" Our little Paddy! Even at just a few days old, we could tell that he was a strong little guy, and was determined to tackle whatever was thrown his way - which he did right from the beginning! We called him a little pig, too - he had and continues to have a big appetite!

Our little long one! He was a serious thoughtful guy - even the midwife who delivered him said he reminded her of an "old soul"
Our little social butterfly! He likes to be in on the action - but it wore him out easily and quickly! How we loved this little baby boy!! He changed our lives, and added so much to it!

The months of his first year were flying by! Smiles, Jabbering, Crawling, Pulling up.....Each new step brought us immense joy! Patrick was our dream come true! Both of us had wanted a baby for years!I loved to dress him up and take him out - he was my little dolly!
From the beginning James and Patrick have had a special relationship. James is so good with babies...and he can nearly ALWAYS get a smile or a laugh out of Patrick - they love to be silly together!
Patrick was our little buddy. Always there with us. His adorable little smile and big blue eyes could brighten most any load!We were so excited when he got a high chair! I remember sitting him in it for the first time, and his little legs poking straight out - too short to hang over the sides!This was taken on the eve of his first birthday! Such a petite little fellow he was! He was taking steps at this point, but as you can see, felt safer when he had something to hold onto! :) He has never been the dare-devil type. He is cautious and sensitive. ...and he has a great smile :) but I already said that :)As he grew, so did the messes! :) but that's ok! Someday my house will be perfect, but I will miss the messes then....or, I will miss the little people who used to make them.And as he grew, so did his hair - and surprised us by having some curl! What a delight!!And then, somehow, another whole year went by. Now Patrick can open doors, feed himself, drink from a cup without a lid, use the potty, say some words, use sign language, run, pretend with his toys, make his stuffed bear from Aunt Emily eat, go potty.......he understand a whole lot, even if he can't say the words. He makes noises for cars, fire engines, dogs, monkeys and more!
....he is such a little boy.
And so it should be - because tomorrow my baby will turn two.
When I look at him now, I see very little, if any, "baby" left in his appearance. The baby fat is gone from his legs, and some from his face, too. He is taking on a more grown up look.
I can hardly believe two years have gone by. It is sad - but it is happy. I don't like losing my baby, but I must admit that little boys are more fun than I knew! I love having my little buddy with me each day. Walking next to me now - but still wanting to hold my hand. Keeping me company - waving at people and saying "hi!" - how Patrick blesses my days!
I love you Patrick, more than you may ever know. I hope that your new year is blessed by God - that you learn more and more each day how to do the right thing -the things that God would want you to do. I pray for a long and healthy life for you, that you would know Jesus as your Savior, and that you would be His "Noble Servant" as your name means.
HAPPY 2nd BIRTHDAY MY SON!

2 comments:

11 Smiths for Huckabee said...

Happy Birthday, Paddy! (And a very sweet post, Hope!) The pictures were so cute. It is amazing how fast he is growing up! Love y'all!
~the Doug Smiths

Anonymous said...

Nice post Hope - cute pictures too - the last one looks SOoo grown up - I love you, and I love watching you be patrick's mother...You get an A+ in my book!! Mama